Robert Glasper Experiment, with Chrisette Michele, and surprise guests Bilal and Musiq at Variety Playhouse, Sun., March 4, 2012.
- Hosts Jamal Ahmad of WCLK-FM (91.9) and Derek Harper of WAMJ-FM (107.5/97.5).
- Opening song: Radiohead-esque riff that runs right into “A Love Supreme.”
- Lots of stories from Glasper, including one about Ledisi taking just five minutes to write “Alright” during one 3 a.m. session.
- Chrisette Michele’s supremely jazzy voice on “Afro Blue,” and every other song she laced that night.
- Chrisette Michele’s green dress.
- How Glasper’s haughtily humorous introduction of Bilal — “Well, actually, he sucks!” — is indicative of Glasper’s personality in general. “Letter to Hermione” shined nonetheless.
- The Experiment jamming out while waiting for Bilal to return to the stage for more singing.
- Electric bass player Derrick Hodge’s solo leading into Floetry’s “Say Yes” — not a stretch considering Hodges was on the original recording.
- The crowd’s enthusiastic response when Glasper asked if there were any J Dilla fans in attendance.
- Recognizing the Experiment’s take on rock classic “Teen Spirit” by Nirvana. It took a minute.
- Surprise guest Musiq harmonizing with Michele on “Ah Yeah.”
- Glasper acknowledging the blessing it is to have seen Dilla make “Reminisce.”
- Bilal grabbing his mic out of the stand once he realized Musiq had joined him on stage, like a nonverbal “Oh shit! Let’s do this!”