Ten quick highlights from Green Velvet, DJ Pierre, and J-Luv at Primal Atlanta on Saturday, Feb. 18:
- “La La Land” live!
- Hearing Green Velvet freak “Percolator.”
- Watching Cajmere/Green Velvet dance to his own music.
- The patio with DJs Kai Alce and Matt “Dough” Donathan.
- DJ Pierre dropping “French Kiss” by Lil’ Louis, another legendary Chicago-bred DJ, just before Green Velvet took to the tables.
- “Good evening, parents!” In other words, over the hill men in Hawaiian shirts dancing with girls in gold booty-cutters and bikini tops, nipples exposed. HA!
- Tambor regulars at Primal Atlanta.
- Bartenders who cut deals.
- Parking at Chinese Buddah for a short (if cold and damp) walk.
Classic tracks below.
Read More “Green Velvet at Primal Atlanta: 10 highlights”
Idle Warship, aka Res and Talib Kweli, with Sa-Roc and Rock Most, at the Loft on Thurs., Feb. 16.
Eight quick highlights, in order of appearance:
- Rock Most’s sweater.
- The Rock Most Step. Sorry, I can’t explain it.
- Sa-Roc’s entire set. Almost brought tears to my eyes. But the head nodding knocked them out.
- Flautist Rasheedah Ali and vocalist Poodie the Byz on “Rain and Sunshine.”
- Res taking off her patent-leather booties and putting on a pair of gray Nike mid-tops. All while singing.
- “Are You In?”
- Res as Stevie Nicks, as in “Dreams.” As in a new EP coming out this summer called Refried Mac full of Fleetwood covers.
- Talib Kweli in full big stick swag mode with “Detroit Rock City.” (Thank you, Piggie Holland.)
Idle Warship’s “Laser Beams” and Sa-Roc’s “Rain and Sunshine” video below.
Read More “Idle Warship aka Res and Talib Kweli at the Loft: 8 highlights”