Really, I do. And since I’m in Chicago — me and R. Kelly’s hometown — but flying back to Atlanta today, here are a few rules for things flight-related.
- Capitalize “Flight,” and use numerals: Flight 1545
- Same with “Terminal” and “Gate”: Terminal 7; Gate C
- Airline companies take capitalized names, being proper nouns and all: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, US Airways, etc.
- Also capitalize the proper names of airports: Midway International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
- You can shorten the name of an airport, but don’t make one up: John F. Kennedy International Airport can be shortened to Kennedy Airport, but Boston Airport doesn’t exist. It’s actually Logan International Airport, or, if you prefer, Logan Airport.
“me and R. Kelly’s hometown”? Did I really read that?
You did, Laura! I should be ashamed 🙂 Great work over there at terriblywrite.wordpress.com. Check it out, folks!
Not to worry. We all make mistakes, and a blog is something personal and informal and we get to write as if we’re talking to a friend — a friend who isn’t a grammar nazi.